Saturday, May 12, 2007

Marathon Weekend Part I

I've spent this past week recovering and catching up on my sleep. I was waiting until this weekend to begin to reflect on my experience. It will be a two-parter so get ready...

Friday night we went shopping at Jungle Jim's to get supplies for our big pasta dinner on Saturday night. We got tons of yummy pasta and good cheese and made it out of the store just before it closed. I had to tell Ryan to slow down when we were walking through the store so I didn't "pull a muscle." I'd hate for my injury to come while grocery shopping after months of running! When we got home I got out of putting away groceries by saying that it was my night to rest and I needed to go to bed. I got to sleep at probably around 11pm which isn't too bad considering how nervous I was.

Saturday morning when I woke up Ryan was already down in the kitchen making apple crisp. I was meeting Karrie at the expo down in Cincinnati to pick up our race numbers, timing chips, and goodies. We had a blast at the expo--there was anything and everything flying pig and running related. We got our posters, t-shirts, and messenger bags. We also got the cutest t-shirts about the months of training we had been through which I proudly wore the rest of the day and pretty much the rest of the weekend. We also stopped at the Bonbonerie to pick up the flying pig cookies that Ryan had ordered. When I got home there were flowers waiting for me on the table from Ryan's parents (thanks Steve and Deb!) and Ryan was hard at work on the meatballs and other assorted goodies. I headed up to Dayton to pick up my family!!! It was great to see them and I am so happy that they came down to visit for the weekend.

During the afternoon we got my parents addicted to Wii bowling (which again, didn't want to pull a muscle so I didn't play too much of), watched the Kentucky Derby and ate our huge pasta dinner (which Karrie joined us for). The Red Sox game started at 7 so we watched that for awhile and then I went up to bed at around 9. I got absolutely EVERYTHING prepared
* laced timing chip onto my shoe
* pinned safety pins to race number
* laid out tattoos, pace band, watch
* packed fuel belt full of Clif Shots
* got maps and notes out for Ryan and confirmed where they were going to be along the route
* laid out clothes--flying pig socks, green shorts, Running Spot tank and white hat
* prepared coffee and cereal for the morning
* set my alarm for 3:15 am...

...and then went to sleep...

No comments: