Sunday, May 27, 2007

back to running

Yesterday I laced up my running shoes for the first time since the marathon. I went as soon as I woke up (about 9am) because I knew it was going to be hot and I knew I wouldn't want to leave the house.

It was about 70 degrees but after training all winter it felt really HOT! I just did my extended neighborhood loop--about 2.5 miles. I did it at about a 10 minute pace total but the weird thing was that I alternated running (and I think I was running WAY faster than I usually do) with walking and ended up finishing in 25 minutes. My pod was out of batteries so I had no way to tell exactly how fast I was running but I felt speedy for awhile, and then it got too much and I walked. I went without my ipod too just to enjoy being outside. It felt good. I made a fruit smoothie when I got back and I felt like I really accomplished something (even if it was a tiny 2.5-miler!).

Today Ryan and I took Marley back to Miami Whitewater for a stroll. We walked 1.5 miles in on the long trail and back for a total of 3 miles. It was hot again (we tried to get going early but I can't seem to get out of bed before 9) but overcast and this part of the trail was mostly wooded so it wasn't too bad. I was really looking forward to our Dunkin Donuts iced coffees on the way home (I resisted the urge for jelly munchkins). Overall it was a good walk and the pooch enjoyed it so much she fell asleep on the way home.

I will try to get out for a run tomorrow but I feel like if I can't get up early enough to beat the heat I may have to do some shorter treadmill runs. We're going out for sushi tonight--my first time! I can't really tell if I'm looking forward to it or not...

1 comment:

squasha said...

i KNOW what you mean about how much HOTTER it is at even 70 degrees! sheesh! i have decided i much prefer winter training, which i never thought i'd say. but i come back every day dripping in sweat, even when i go early in the morning. carr, what am i going to do down in nashville when the humidity is even worse? hmmmm