Thursday, June 7, 2007

A hot lazy morning

The temperature at my house right now is 86 degrees, projected high of 93 degrees. I just got done washing my car and I'm covered in sweat.

I wanted to go down to Miami Whitewater this morning and "do" the whole loop. Now I didn't necessarily plan on running the whole thing, but I wanted to cover the full 7.8 miles. And I did, in a run/walk fashion. I just didn't push myself and when I didn't feel like running, I walked. It took me total about 1 1/2 hours to do the whole thing. I ran out of gatorade by the end and was really looking forward to my Dunkin iced coffee!

When I got home I read the last two chapters in the Marley book and (although I knew what was going to happen) got sad and decided to spend time with my Marley so we went for a walk. That was about another 1 1/2 miles or so. So I would say I "did" about 9 miles today, although much of it was at a walking pace.

When I am walking I remind myself of this: the first time a ran a distance of any sorts was in the Adirondacks. I was working in the hiking lodge in the summer of 1997 and doing a lot of hiking in my free time. The lodge was at the end of a long access road and a couple of staff members regularly ran the road. I was in terrible shape to start the summer--could barely make it up the 1 mile Mt. Jo hill. But one day I decided to go out and just see how far I could run. I ran out and back and then went to measure it in my car and I had run 5 miles! And I had worked up to that simply by hiking (which is walking, sort of) a lot. So my philosophy is, I was out there, I covered the distance, I am working on the running...

My goal (well, the Running Spot training group's goal) is that I can run 6-7 miles or about 60 minutes comfortably by the time I start the group (July 7th). I probably could have done that today, I was just hot and lazy. Maybe next week. I have a month...and darn it, it's hot!

No comments: