Wednesday, April 11, 2007

hills are getting better

So I went to the Tuesday night group run last night. There was a pre-run clinic by one of the coaches but due to traffic I didn't make it there until about halfway though. He was giving tips about mentally preparing for and going through with the marathon. One of the things he talked about was "listening to his body." I have to say, I try NOT to listen to my body as much as possible during the run. Last night, for instance, I was STARVING the whole time, and I had to to to the bathroom starting at about the first mile. So I spent a lot of time trying to ignore that and concentrating on my running...slow and steady.
We had a choice of doing 7.2 or 9 miles and since I had already run 8 miles on Monday I decided to opt for the shorter route. I was also keeping in mind the 20 I have to run on Saturday. I had a really good run, despite my struggles to get out the door. We went up several hills that I have had a hard time with in the past and I managed to run up them all (no walking!) so that made me feel like I've made some progress. We had 2 gatorade stops which really helped. I was fully hydrated the whole way (but have been INCREDIBLY thirsty since the run--getting up in the middle of the night to down a gatorade!). The weather was very sunny but chilly--about 50 degrees and windy. Karrie couldn't make it but I had my trusty ipod for company. I have to say that when "Eye of the Tiger" comes on at the bottom of a hill I just can't stop to walk!
I took today off and thoroughly enjoyed the relaxing. Tomorrow will be running at Karrie's--hopefully the weather cooperates! I am NOT looking forward to rain/snow on Saturday--please, no!

1 comment:

Chief1 said...

Doing great Carrie. Keep it up, we are all amazed at your progress- you never cease to amaze me!!!
Keep yourself as hydrated as you can during the day and it should help.
Can't wait to fly out. We did a good job coordinating flights with Kate so we will be with her for part of the flight.
People are getting nervous around here for Monday, the Boston Marathon, has a Nor'Easter scheduled to hit. Probably more rain than snow but it's going to be windy and cold.