Friday, July 27, 2007

I had forgotten...

how wonderful yoga is. Also how hard it is for me, a very unflexible person, to do the simplest thing like a downward-facing dog. But it felt good to get really stretched out.

The running? Well, on Wednesday I set off to do my 3 mile easy run. I ran about .5 miles when the outside of my right knee started killing me--the same spot it hurt after I did my long run on Saturday (although it hadn't hurt at ALL since then). So I slowed it down to a walk and proceeded to go around my loop, trying to run at various points in time, only to be forced to walk after a few steps of running. It was a bummer.

I went home and R.I.C.E.d it for the rest of the afternoon. Stairs were impossible. It was almost comical to watch my try to chase around my puppy. But, by Thursday morning, no pain! So Karrie showed up at 8am on Thursday morning for our longer run of the week. Same thing--about a half a mile and then pain! I didn't push it though and I'm totally resting today for tomorrow's long run. I have to do about 12 miles tomorrow and I'd really like to get through it with no problems.

From researching, talking to Ryan who works with a lot of sports medicine people and Karrie who knows about this sort of thing, I think it might be my IT band. I've been doing some stretching and massaging of the area as most sources tell me to do. I just hope it's not something I will continue to have a problem with. Hopefully it will go away as suddenly as my achilles pain during training for the last marathon!

Long run tomorrow--let's hope the showers and thunderstorms are few!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yoga! What a great reminder. Why is it that runners seem to put stretching at the bottom of the list.