Wednesday, July 11, 2007

sweat

I am so far thoroughly not enjoying training in the summer. I had these great ideas about how I was off from work and could devote extra time to training, etc. Well, it's just too darn hot.

Last night was my first running spot training group run. Karrie and I chose the 4.5 mile route (the other options were a bit longer) and I really struggled. I am used to running in the morning so running in the 7pm 85 degree heat was rough. I was discouraged, and even more so after I saw July's training schedule. But Karrie and I talked to Coach Joe F. and he's going to make us a special schedule because we're, well, special. I also met one of the mentors who will be working with us and she ran at about my pace and was really helpful. And towards the end as I was struggling up the hills of Madison Ave I met a fellow Chicago-bound runner who was feeling about as exhausted as I was. It was inspiring to have some people encouraging me to finish the run.

Today I just did my "3 miles easy" on the treadmill. The morning escaped me and I wasn't about to run outside at 7pm if I didn't have to. The climate-controlled environment of my house was slightly less sweat-producing and I watched Friends as I ran to pass the time.

Tomorrow I will try to wake up early to run.

No comments: